When including your pets in Easter activities and celebrations make sure to keep them away from things that will cause them harm. See below to learn more about what to avoid and what to do when you suspect they could have eaten something poisonous.






Chocolate and Candies

Both chocolate and candies are harmful to your pets as chocolate contains both theobromine and caffeine, substances dangerous to cats and dog, with the potential to kill. Other candies may contain xylitol which is harmful to dogs and wrappers, foil and plastic have the potential to be a choking hazard to your pet or may cause internal damage. It’s important to keep your treats out of paws reach and instead reward them with treats designed specifically for pets.

Click here for a toxicity chart.


Some symptoms and signs to look out for include:
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Rapid Heartbeat
  • Seizures
  • Excessive Panting
  • Muscle Twitching

Plants

Some plants commonly found around the home can cause serious problems for your pets; particularly cats that can easily climb to reach them. Keeping your plants in tall vases will assist in keeping them out of your pets reach or even better, avoid having them in your cat friendly household.

Easter Lilies have the potential to cause acute kidney failure in your cat – even with only a small nibble on the petals. Some symptoms and signs to look out for include:
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Dehydration
Another plant which is best to be kept away from both cats and dogs is the Cyclamen plant which has the potential to cause seizures and death, symptoms and signs to look out for are:
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Rapid Heartbeat
  • Seizures

If you know or suspect your dog or cat has ingested any of these plants, chocolate or candies, be sure to contact your local vet as soon as possible, as this could be a life threatening situation. Your vet will be able to advise you on the best course of action.