A night of costumes, tricks and treats, Halloween can be enjoyed by every member of the family including our furry friends. However with many activities that can be harmful or stressful to your pets, we recommend following these Halloween pet safety tips to make sure everyone has a fun and safe Halloween.






Don’t share candy and chocolate treats with your pets!

Chocolate is toxic to both cats and dogs, and other candies can damage their teeth.
Keep your treats out of paws reach and instead reward them with treats designed specifically for pets!
jQuery UI Accordion - Default functionality

Click here to learn more about the dangerous effects of chocolate to your pet

It’s important to know that chocolate is harmful to your cat and dog and too much chocolate can even be fatal. Chocolate contains theobromine and caffeine, both of which can be toxic for animals. The darker the chocolate the more harmful it is to your pet, so make sure you don’t give them any chocolate be sure to check there any lying around where your pets can find it and help themselves.

The symptoms to look out for if you think your pet has managed to get into your chocolate stash are:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Hyperactivity
  • Excessive panting
  • Muscle twitching and/or tremours

If you know or suspect your dog or cat has eaten chocolate, be sure to contact your vet as soon as possible as this could be a life threatning situation. Your vet will be able to advise you on the best course of action.


Keep your pets away from the front door.

For some pets, too many strangers may make them stressed, anxious or unpredictable.
It’s also easy for your pets to slip out when you open the door to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters.


Pet costumes look good, but don’t leave them unattended.

Always keep an eye on your pet when they are in costume and make sure that there are no parts of the costume
which could get tangled or interfere with their ability to see.


Trick-or-treating with your pet?

Make sure ID tags are worn and all details are up to date.


Keep candles out of the equation.

It’s all too easy for your pet to accidentally knock them over with their tail, or perhaps
curiously paw at the flame which could result in a burn.