Save 20% Off With Repeat Delivery | T&C'S HERE

Free delivery over $79 | Click & Collect in 90 minutes | Offer ends Jan 22 | Learn more

Due to adverse weather conditions some of our Auckland stores, clinics and deliveries may be impacted. | Offer ends May 09 | CLICK HERE FOR NZ POST UPDATES

Napier, Hastings and Gisborne customers – please note we are currently expecting courier delays. | Offer ends May 29 | CLICK HERE FOR NZ POST UPDATES

New Zealand websites have been intermittently unavailable due to an outage | Offer ends May 30 | CHECK STATUS HERE

Credit card and Account2Account payments may be temporarily unavailable | Offer ends Oct 08 | CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Clearance Sale now on! | Offer ends Oct 18 | CLICK HERE TO SHOP

Back To Dog
Karaka berry poisoning

Karaka berry poisoning

The Karaka tree is a large tree with glossy, dark green leaves, that can be found throughout New Zealand, predominantly in the North Island. These berries are loved by Kereru, however they are highly toxic to dogs.

 

Here’s how to protect your dog from Karaka Berry toxicity and the signs of poisoning to watch out for:

The Karaka berries are oval shaped, 2-4cm long and are green before turning bright orange and falling from the tree. They are abundant from January to April, and if eaten are highly toxic. Even berries that have been on the ground for many months and look like husks can be toxic. The kernel in the berry contains a toxin called Karakin that affects the nervous system of animals and humans, however most cases are seen in dogs as they are known to scavenge and eat anything.

 

How to minimise the risk of your dog eating Karaka berries:

  • Walk them in areas that do not have Karaka trees
  • Keep your dog on a short lead and watch your dog while near the trees
  • Distract them while walking past the area with a treat or toy
  • Do not walk them directly under the trees
  • Make sure anyone who may walk your dog knows to avoid the Karaka trees

Symptoms

Signs of poisoning may be delayed by 24-48 hours. Even if your pet is not showing any signs yet, if you think your dog may have eaten a Karaka berry, take them to see your nearest vet immediately.

Signs of poisoning can include:

  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Convulsions
  • Collapse
  • Paralysis
  • Death
     

Treatment

If the berry has been eaten within the past two hours, the vet will make the animal vomit to try and reduce toxicity. If it has been longer than two hours or your pet is showing signs similar to these, your pet would be admitted into the hospital, have a range of diagnostic tests done and be given supportive treatment. Unfortunately, there is no specific antidote for the toxin. In some cases, despite the best treatment, some animals do not recover.

Prevention is your best option when it comes to Karaka berries. If you suspect your dog has ingested Karaka berries, contact a vet immediately.

Find your local vet. Animates Vetcare | Book now

We also recommend
  1. Pet household hazards vetcare

    Pet household hazards

    As pet parents, we naturally want to keep our pets safe, but unfortunately many of our common household items & products can be dangerous to our pets.

     

    To help, we've listed some of the most common household hazards & tips to keep your pets safe at home.

  2. Toxic foods for cats & dogs vetcare

    Toxic foods for cats & dogs

    We’ve all seen the faces of desperation from our furry friends as we eat our dinner. They want what we’re having and it’s often hard to resist giving them a scrap from our plates, but our food can be toxic for cats and dogs.

  3. Outdoor hazards for pets vetcare

    Outdoor hazards for pets

    Just like children, pets love to explore and try new things. Dogs and cats often explore by tasting, smelling, chewing and rolling on things that they shouldn’t. Unfortunately, many of the common plants, flowers & fruit that can be found in our backyards and local parks have toxins or seeds that can be very harmful to our pets.