Back To Dog
Why table scraps are bad for your dog

Why table scraps are bad for your dog

Saying no to puppy dog eyes is something which most pet parents struggle with particularly when it is as easy as giving  them a little scrap off your plate. Unfortunately treating your dog with your dinner is not only encouraging begging behaviour it also is simply not good for them and can in fact cause harm.

To be clear there is nothing wrong with giving your dog the occasional treat as long is a dog specific treat. Your dog requires a balanced diet to remain a healthy weight and to get all of their nutritional requirements. This is easily achieved with a Superior Nutrition diet with the correct portions. Feeding table scraps to your dog can quickly tip the balance and lead to obesity due to over feeding.

On top of this some ingredients which are commonly in our food can be toxic for our dogs and can cause significant harm.

Ingredients include:

  • Chocolate
  • Grapes (fresh and dried)
  • Peaches
  • Plums
  • Apple cores and seeds
  • Pear cores and seeds
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Fat or food with a high fat content

While an ingredient may not be toxic for dogs it is important to note that just like us some dogs will suffer from food intolerances and allergies common signs are vomiting, diarrhoea, rashes or patches of dry skin and excessive gas. Be sure to talk to your veterinarian about the best diet for your dog if you notice these symptoms.

Note: cooked bones should never be given to your dog as they often splinter which can constipate your dog or cause damage to their intestinal tract.